Saturday, January 1, 2011

Seeded two types of lettuce indoors

I seeded "Lolla Rossa" and "Mascara" lettuce (Baker seeds #LT127 and LT131 respectively). I seeded them in paper cups and put them on the windowsill where they'll get some sun (three cups each). I'm trying to reach a new level of gardening and remember what seeds are what, so I put paper clips on the three Lolla Rossa cups and a similar clip on the seed envelope. If this technology works, I may push it to the next level and use colored paper clips.

Last year I tried writing on the cups (useless) and also on a wooden stick (I don't remember how that worked, but wooden sticks aren't easy to come by unless I start eating a lot of popsicles). There's an entire school devoted to using Sharpie on plastic knives - that may work but the concept of sacrificing plastic dinner utensils to the garden leaves me cold (well, luke warm).

All of this seedling ID is a precursor to planting a lot of  tomato seeds of myriad varieties. Last year I had no idea what was what until the actual tomatoes ripened. Even so, I wasn't sure about a few plants. This year, I'm leaning towards knowing what I'm planting and, better yet, what I'm giving away.

- Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment