Sunday, May 3, 2009

Slugs are slipping in

I pulled some weeds and planted a cucumber plant that I found forgotten in a pot amidst the weeds and lettuce. The Romaine that looked so good as young, packed together plants a few weeks ago has now turned into some rather spindly plants, situated amongst less spindly plants. I harvested some of the lettuce and submerged it in a pot of water inside (slugs crawl out of the lettuce and up to the surface when submerged, so it's a good way to find the suckers before they crawl out of a salad bowl, which has happened to us).  I pulled some of the spindly lettuce and tossed it, with weeds, on the compost pile.

Three slugs (aka gastropod mollusks) turned up, so I went out on the deck, called the chickens up, and fed two small ones to Snowball. Snowball was a bit taken aback at the size of the third slug, but Henny Penny arrived on the scene eager to help, so she got that one. In a few weeks, I'll pull all the lettuce and peas and then give the chickens a few days in the garden to de-pest it. After that, I'll put in corn, beans, and other stuff (to-be-decided).

No comments:

Post a Comment