Friday, May 29, 2009

80 lbs of lettuce!

Wow, Michelle Obama's garden has produced 80 lbs of lettuce! Ours has probably produced about three, not counting the heads of romaine that started fighting it out with the beets. I'm going to pull the beets this weekend, I think, and see what else is growing in that jungle. I pulled the pea plants (best peas we've ever had) last week in preparation for planting corn. After pulling the peas, I left the fencing open so the chickens could wander in, scratch around, and eat bugs and grubs. I've also dumped a lot of compost in there for the chickens to spread. I just closed the fencing again to see if the birds can find a way in, now that they've been re-introduced to the wonders of the garden. I don't want them going in once I've put corn, beans, and basil in.

No comments:

Post a Comment